Tuesday 21 July 2015

MEG'S 5 MORE LESSONS LEARNT FROM HER INTERNSHIP- 2ND TIME AROUND

So, remember when I did this post about what I learnt the first time I dared myself to commit to an internship. It was a very interesting post especially now that I feel I am a totally different person from that girl who was 5ft 8 who wrote that.
Since then I have grown. Literally. I had my BMI checked recently and since then I have added an inch in height and two kilograms in weight which I believe has gone to some desirable areas . *cue Destiny's Child's Bootylicious here*


Aaaanyway.

I really didn't think my recent internship warranted a full post. It has taken a lot to let go of a place I finally felt content in. The past few months I have been in such a good place, revisiting that happiness would mean going through the whole emotional roller-coaster I had when I had to end it all and let go and  believe me doing that shit is hard.

Sometimes I feel that the world as it is is so full of unhappiness it feels like letting go of happiness in pursuit of whatever life holds ahead means exposing yourself to all the bad that comes before the next time you feel happy again and I never feel ready for that. Not now after coming out of a seriously grey moment in my life when I almost went completely under. 



But after reading Miss I's post on how her first day at Google Dublin went I feel inspired to just share a little glimpse of what happy in my life felt like through these lessons I learnt in the past 3 months so here goes..

MEG'S 5 MORE LESSONS LEARNT FROM HER INTERNSHIP- 2ND TIME AROUND

1.No matter how you feel, GET UP DRESS UP NICE AND SHOW UP.

It wasn't easy. Let us start there. Some days especially when you are all new, the thought of showing up each day is scary. The uncertainty around how that day will be and if you are in the right place can be overpowering but I have learnt that there is progress in doing whatever you are called to. Even on those days when everything around is telling you to quit be strong enough to get up, dress up and show up. That's all you have to do. Every thing else will take care of itself just be there.

2. Don't Overthink think it. Just do it.
I reference my previous worry on uncertainty. Sometimes self doubt comes over you like a dark cloud and makes you question everything. But don't do that. The worst that could happen to you at any point is that you will make a mistake and you will learn from it so stop stressing just go ahead and act. And if you fail, remember you can go nowhere but up.
< I apologize for how I just referenced Justin Bieber :))>

3. Take a risk, Take a chance. Make that change.
Yes, I have just quoted Kelly Clarkson but those lyrics really got me through. I learnt to be more confident in the past few weeks than I have in my whole life and I blame my colleague and my mama who told me once that I should just be confident because that's what matters. And as cliche as this sounds, this actually works. Whether it is being confident enough to reach out to that colleague who you know would make a great friend or mentor or approaching that boss so he can give you that assignment that you really know will give you the exposure you need; confidence will take you to heights you never knew you could reach. And along the way you will unlock some levels of strength you never knew you had.

4. Be grateful.
This spirit of thanksgiving is what got me through the hardest goodbye because giving thanks for the time I had was the only thing I could do to show appreciation for the opportunity I received. Every evening I made a conscious decision to tell God thank you and to ask him to remind me never to forget to do so. Any time someone gave me assistance with anything I would always say a little thank you, no matter how insignificant the assistance seemed. I did it simply because the gift of life isn't a guarantee. No one is born entitled to the opportunities that come their way so because all this is a gift that can be taken away, it is only right to recognize the fact that you have been blessed.

5. Lastly, enjoy, make memories and never forget them.

I do not regret any of the moments I had at firm X. I cherish the awkward introductory talk during my first days at work that grew to casual discussions over lunch that grew to taking selfies during sponsored golf tournaments and eventually getting to know strangers better. Those are the moments that made it unforgettable. And there is nothing more comforting than knowing that even if you never see a stranger again, the one thing you are sure you shared is a smile.  Whatever you are going through, take a minute, smile and enjoy whatever element of beauty is in it.



So this was a quickie so I guess that's it. If I could I could list all the names of the beautiful souls I got to work with and a sincere message of gratitude next to the bundles of love and well wishes I would attach I would. But I can't ;((

Instead I will just say dear people of company X where Meg worked recently, thank you for giving me a chance.

And for my dear readers, thank you for reading and I hope the lessons I shared can help you get through whatever you are going through.

Love and light always,
Meg.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me tell me what you think...