Wednesday 24 December 2014

Diary of the Melancholic Traveller: Lake Nakuru Detours

Dear Diary,
I kind of understand what Taylor Swift meant when she sang the words,
"today was a fairytale,".
The past day has been somewhere near a safari fairytale.
Leaving Nairobi was well, leaving Nairobi. There was not much just a cloudy sky and a newly carpeted by pass which was a breeze to drive on. We got to Nakuru by like 11 a.m. And began our off road adventure in Lake Nakuru. Which was quite the adventure btw.
I mean for the first time I hated my couch potato ways because I realized that my aversion for new experiences meant I was missing out a lot. Lake Nakuru is beyond beautiful even with the absence of flamingos.
We began by a little game drive through the park and stopped over at the Off Road View Point which is on a little hill over looking the lake. The water looked all dark but still reflected a bit of the midday sun. Seeing as how we were starved the game drive was cut short and we proceeded to the Lake Nakuru Sopa Lodge.
It is at this point that this fairy tale begins.
I mean it is so beautiful and the reception they gave us had us feeling all royal. There was this warm hostess (I forget her name :-\ ) but she was warm and cheerful and received us very kindly. We were offered hot hand towels and juice before being ushered to our rooms.
What I loved is this whole décor theme they have going on which is inspired by the surrounding woodland. I am not the biggest fan of brown. Honestly I prefer glass and metal to wood and stone anyday but in their case I make an exception. The rooms look like little circular cottages plus our rooms have this spectacular view of the lake seeing as how the lodge is located on a high hill that overlooks the entire park. And the wi-fi is great. Minus the whole no TV anywhere, well I think I could live here forever.  I didn't get to chill by the pool but it looked inviting as well and it also overlooks the lake.
Anyway lunch was quite something. Of course they do proper 4 course meals. We had mushroom on toast for starters and a vegetable soup which was a bit plain but still good and fresh. By the time the main course started I was well on my way to feeling stuffed. For the main course we had juicy lamb and chunky potatoes with beetroot sauce and vegetables. Yummers.
Now dessert deserves its own paragraph. Passion mousse in a crispy white chocolate shell. I was in sugar heaven. Like I have never tasted anything so creamy and fruity and sweet....
*okay I need a moment*
Anyway after that serious meal we went for another successful game drive. Successful because we saw so many animals. Animals are interesting and here are a few random facts I learnt:
-Lions are my animal soulmates. Turns out they sleep 18 hours a day. Just like me on weekends lol. Go team feline!
-Gazelles are a bit like mordern day teenagers. They walk in separate male/female groups and the males identify themselves as bachelors always battling out to win the spot of single sole protector of a group of females
-Rhinos do not like humans very much, as evidenced by a story our guide told us of a rhino that decided to charge at a group of tourists in a van. Like it actually hit their van even as it drove off at like 100kph.
What that drive made me realize about being a tourist is the little joys you enjoy. Like those moments you run into random groups of people in their vans and you wave at them happily. Or those moments a tour van driver stops yours to tell you where the next amazing sighting is and your driver does this mad dash to catch them before they leave. It was this genuine peaceful feeling; even getting lost in the bushes and having the evening drizzle leak through the sunroof.
We got back in time for dinner and ran into the manager in the lobby, a friendly gentleman called Fred. I think this guy has the best job in the world because Lake Nakuru Sopa is so beautiful I could live there forever. I would totally not mind working hard and being posted to be a finance manager in a tourist resort somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Dinner was great. The starter was this chef's salad that had been presented so fancily I just wanted to stare at it. The butternut soup was a major improvement on the one we had for lunch. Our main dish was  sweet and sour chicken served with rice . And dessert..  next paragraph please.
Cashewnut cheesecake.
I am not the biggest cheesecake fan but this one deserved applause. End of story.
That chef of theirs deserves a raise. Our tastebuds have never been so entertained.
Anyway we were all so tired and just went straight to bed I didn't even want to spend hours on YouTube as I had planned.
Oh and a major plus, they provide hot water bottles in the beds. And that is how to make a tired tourist sleep like a baby and make a resolve to come back again:-)
Well, that was our day. Tiring but nonetheless amazing.
Right now we are on our way to the Mara to continue our vacay. Yaay!
More later.
Love,
The melancholic traveller who doesn't feel very melancholic anymore.❤
Feeling all top-model in front of the tourvan
A collage of some of the meals I ferociously devoured
That awesome moment when everyone decides to go on a game drive :)
Presenting the BEASTS!
The beautiful entrance
Views from the dining area

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me tell me what you think...