Monday 22 December 2014

Diary of the Melancholic Traveller: The Prelude

"Once upon a time there was a girl with a 16GB smart phone with the Blogger App and a fabulous camera who still believes her little blog will change the world. She isn't sure how but she just knows it...."
Merry Christmas!!
'tis the season gain weight and have a forgivable reason.'
Yes? No?
I have no idea why I just wrote that. Forgive me.
*steps back into normal self*
Anyway the past few months I know I wasn't as active on this blog as I would have loved and I kind of feel bad about that so I decided to do a Christmas post with a difference. Well sort of.
This season I am going to the Maasai Mara for the first time ever!!
My family and I had been thinking of doing a Mara road trip for the longest time ever and when this plan was confirmed I decided to make it a bit of a creative vacay by documenting our travel on this here blog. Of course this was inspired partly by a few of my favourite bloggers who have done similar 'Tembea Kenya' themed posts including the lovely Sharon Mundia .
So basically I will do a diary series of about 4 posts themed around this. Depending on the wi-fi situation, I hope to post either daily as it happens or when I get back.
I do hope you will enjoy reading and it will inspire you to go enjoy God's creation and tell the world about it in your chosen way.
So here is the introduction post in the title series...
MAASAI MARA HOLIDAY STARTER PACK
Less than 24 hours to this major trip and I am beyond excited I do not think if I will even be able to sleep tonight.
Packing for any trip can be a bit of task because of the dilemma that is packing clothes that make you feel good without overloading your suitcase or in my case backpack.
I'm yet to check the weather situation in the Rift Valley on AccuWeather™ but I am relying on a little common sense to do my packing.
Which is why my 4 day Mara Road trip starter pack is as follows:

(pardon the numbering I made a mistake numbering the pictures and had to re-adjust the text accordingly)
1. 2 pairs of pants. Khakis and black pencil jeans are a universally known wardrobe staple. And even on holiday they are essential. They match everything and are comfy enough to be worn as you lounge in the hotel, take game drives and even for a nice dinner by the camp fire. To make them super versatile I added into the mix a variety of tops including t-shirts and heavy sweater tops(for evening). I also packed 2 skirts for travel day and as a dinner outfit alternative just incase they have a 'no jeans to dinner' policy where we are going.
2. For footwear I kept it simple as well.
Rubber shoes are a staple for any safari. The 'bata ngomaz' pictured are my go to footwear for any casual engagement. They have seen me go on  hikes at Oloolua Nature Trail in Karen and random days thrift shopping at Toi so there is no way they would be left behind. I also thought a nice pair of Maasai Sandals are good for just lounging in the hotel. The boots were specifically to make me feel all tourist during the planned game drives. With a nice pair of khakis, they definitely complete the whole tourist look.
4. A safari isn't the most glamorous of enagements so no need to pack my entire make-up drawer. Just Nivea creme and lotion for face and body. A little body spray that smells fresh but isn't too strong and vaseline(not pictured). Also a little mascara, eye liner and my favourite lip stain because simple doesn't have to be too plain.
5. A list of other random essentials that include:
-Jewellery: I chose to carry a bunch of bracelets. And hairbands.
-earphones and charger (major essential)
-wet wipes and hand sanitizer
-notebook and pens(for documenting everything)
-a simple black leather sling bag for carrying my daily essentials.
6.And all the above fit into my lovely red tote, black sling bag and back pack.
:)). Talk about travelling light.
Notably absent is a swimsuit because I just had my hair retouched and best believe chlorine and relaxed hair do not mix at all. That is a lesson learnt because next time I will plan my retouch for after the vacay.
Also I didn't have sunglasses because I tend to be careless with mine, losing them all the time and I had not had time to go pick out a new pair but what I will be carrying is a nice big hat or beret though they aren't pictured.
So now I am packed and ready.
I just pray this trip turns out well and  you enjoy the read.
Happy holidays once again..  more later so bookmark me now.... pleeeease :)
Thank you for reading and feel free to like(on any social media pages you stumbled across this on) comment and share.
Also any travel essentials that you think I forgot tell me...
Otherwise later sweethearts❤❤.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me tell me what you think...