Friday 26 December 2014

Diary of the Melancholic Traveller: Mara Day 2

Dear Diary,
Please take me back.
Please. I will do anything.
Our second day in the Mara was pretty good. It started on a rainy note. But not even the skies could stop our plans.
We started by sitting in the lobby watching a few hippos play in the water in the nearby Mara River.
After breakfast (a very meaty buffet with lots of mini steaks, sausages and bacon) we started our mid morning drive. The rain had sort of scared the animals into hiding but we did see a few lions and a lot of wildebeests. Our driver then took us on this mad dash to get a candid of the exact border point where there is even an eroded beacon that marks the boundary between Kenya and Tanzania. Later we went and got an upclose view of the Mara River where a nice Kenya Wildlife Services ranger took us on a nice walk along its banks (at a little fee). We even got a glimpse of one of the most photographed spots on the river which is a major crossing point during the wildebeest migration that has made the Mara so popular.
Of course my threatening cold made my energy levels pretty low so most of the time I just sat in the van all snuggled up in a Maasai 'shuka' taking in the magnificent scenery.
We then headed back to the camp for lunch and I treated myself to a nice nap before our evening game drive.
At around 3 pm we got back into the van for what would be our final official game drive. The rain had stopped and the sun was out so we were expecting to see more animals out. Unfortunately it seemed they were still in their shelters so except for 2 lions which we caught up with as they just finished an entire buffalo and a few herds of zebras we didn't catch much game.
We did however see this huge snake slithering across the grass. Even though we were in the safety of our van it still scared me because it was so huge and black. I think it must have been a black mamba. Scary.
Dinner was served at around 8 and by then I was super sleepy. After I ate I tried to stick around to watch the Maasai dancers but they took too long to come so I just retreated to bed and missed their perfomance.
Well, I guess that's all for now.
I can't bring myself to write about how sad I felt leaving that place so I think I will write about that in my final post in the series tomorrow.
Love,
The melancholic traveller who is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me tell me what you think...